Thursday, May 30, 2013

School's. out. for. summer.

   As of tomorrow it is the end of the school year.  While I'm excited about the end of the temporary chaos that has resulted from the end of year activities, I am certain that I will soon tire of having all three young'ns here with me.  All. Day. Long.  Since I want to make the most of this summer and the time I have with them, I'm making a list of the things I want to accomplish.  Most of this stuff deals with the oldest one (my girl) because she's, well, old enough.


  1. Train with, and run a 5k with Alaurie.
  2. Run more in general (just for me).
  3. Teach the kids how to read music.
  4. Go camping no less than 4 times.
  5. Read Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone to the kids. (Easier said than done since bed time is always chaotic)
  6. Teach Alaurie to play 1 song on the violin. (This would require that I learn 1 song on the violin.  It's an aggressive goal to say the least)
  7. Throw the ball around in the yard.
  8. Do some rock climbing.
  9. Go to a museum. 
I've been thinking a lot lately about going back to work so I really want to make the most of my opportunities with the kids.  It scares me a bit to think about it.  It also creates a bit of anxiety.  I start to update my resume and realize that all the things that make me a valuable individual happened almost a decade ago.  As a stay at home mom the paper version of yourself goes completely blank for those years you spent personally cultivating and shaping human life.  It's kind of depressing, really.  I'm fairly exhausted most days which would lead me to believe that I've done some amount of work.  But without a signed paycheck, or W2 on file, the monetized and digitized eyes of modern society remain blind.  But enough of that.....

...I've got a half marathon coming up on the 9th that I have done almost nothing to prepare for.  Wish me luck!

- Hugh Jass

No comments:

Post a Comment