Sunday, July 21, 2013

It's all about publicity

I have so much to write about, which makes writing a little overwhelming.

It's Saturday night in Celina Texas and I just finished a really great run.  It was my first time using the Zombie Run! app.  So far my thoughts on it are "meh".  Maybe I just don't understand it yet.  But nonetheless, I had a fabulous run where I felt strong and fast all the way through.

We had a yard sale today.  If you want people to come to your yard sale, you need publicity, you need to make them curious.  I saw a lady at Home Depot holding those plain Jane yellow yard sale signs.  I contemplated letting her know that no one would show up to her boring, shitty yard sale.  No one.

We made $150 and got rid of at least 3/4 of the things we had put out.  I call that pretty successful.

The reason for the yard sale and overall purge of material stuff is that we're moving again.  To Austin!  For the last year and a half my husband has been traveling with IKEA as they remodel their stores.  3 or 4 days out of the week, every week, he hops a plane and goes to Philly/LA/NewYork/Chicago/Seattle/Florida/Ect.  In the beginning, it was lots of fun for him but I really hated it.  He got to visit cool cities and see old friends across the country while I was home wiping asses and dealing with temper tantrums.  After a while the globe trotting glamour wore off for him, and for me, I had developed my own routine so when he came back home, I think he would feel like he was in the way... which he kind of was.  We were both tiring of living in different worlds. If you've been bouncing around the country all week, you really just want to relax around the house when the weekend comes.  But if you've been cooped up in the house all week with your screaming hellions, eating leftovers and peanut butter sandwiches, you really want to spend your weekend eating great food and just doing cool shit in general.  I get really tired of eating "meh" food that I cooked.  But now he'll be in a store and home every night to cook his great food for me!

It never fails, just before we leave a place things start to get fun.  It's really no coincidence.  As soon as I know that I no longer need to maintain any kind of reputation, I remove my shell and become liberated! Get drunk and act a fool!

Last weekend we went to two AWESOME birthday parties... for kids.  The first one was my friend Lindee's son's party at a gymnastics place.  You have no idea how bad ass I am at back flips on the trampoline.  I tore that place up and worked up a major sweat.


The next party was for the daughter of one of our softball teammates.  For the kids it was a dance, held at our teammates shop.  For the adults it was a dance, dressed in 80's attire, with beer.  Most will go the Madonna route when going 80's, but I happen to own this wonderful gem of a dress that gives me more of a Dynasty/Dallas look.  My husband?  He never wastes an opportunity to pull out his favorite accessory, his mullet wig.

We're having good times and looking forward to the future!  I feel like in life, at least for us, we need these crazy changes every so often to shake us awake and catapult us out of our comfort zone and into unfamiliar territory.

-Hugh Jass

1 comment:

  1. Yard sales are a real PITA but can be a good way to cash in on some liquidation of shit. Congrats on getting to move! I know you're looking forward to it. Even if you do love the small old house you're in.

    ReplyDelete