Friday, November 15, 2013

The Chosen Marathon

Lots of stuff has been going on.  I did a booth for my daughter's school's International Fair.  We chose Colombia because my in-laws have hosted a barrage of Colombian exchange students, almost all of which are still in close contact, and are still considered family.


I've been running on the treadmill trying to improve my speed.  My knee (which I fell on last week) still feels weird.  It's fine on the treadmill, but when I went outside to run, I didn't like the way it felt.  It's just bruised, so It will be fine in another week.

Now, onto the marathon I ran last month!

The Chosen Marathon!

I signed up for it a long time ago, but life and moving and stuff impeded my training.  My longest long run was a mere 10 miles.  But I needed to get in a marathon for 2013 and time was running out!

Despite my small amount of training, I wasn't hurting that bad at the end.  I actually felt pretty good.  I also didn't crash in the last 8 miles.  I attribute this to doing T25.  I have a stronger body over all, and it really helped.  Now, if I can just combine great endurance and cardio WITH the strength I've gained from T25!

Two things I love about this race: 1) 100% of your registration fee goes to the cause.  The cause being orphanages and and adoptive families.  2) The entire course runs along the Guadalupe River with the start/finish being in historic Gruene, home to the oldest dance hall in Texas.  Gruene is choc full of beer, great food, little shops, and live music.  After the race, I happily walked off my soreness via the busy streets of this magical little town.  It was fantastic!  The only thing that could have made it any better, would be camping on the river the weekend of the race.

This is the only picture I have so far.  I ordered a cool one of me running, with the river and the hills in the back drop but it hasn't arrived yet.  Also, we're standing in front of a display of adopted kids and my niece is in the top left hand corner.  I LOVE this cause.

The race is pretty small.  There were over 2,000 people running but only 187 were doing the full.  I was concerned about this since I have a terrible habit of getting into my own head and breaking down.  But that never happened.  The scenery was so fantastic that running solo on the course was OK.
What the Guadalupe looks like in the summer
What it looked like for the race....
So peaceful.
I threw my run/walk routine out the window, and instead, just tried to settle into a comfortable and relaxed pace.  I went slow and enjoyed myself.  My finish time was 5:47:something.

Then there's Gruene.  Just a few dozen yards up a hill and over a bridge, then bam!  You're there!  And I promise I'll finish the "Where I've Been" post for that place, because it's awesome!!!

I recommend this race!  The Chosen was a great experience and I can't wait to do it again next year!

-Hugh Jass

5 comments:

  1. Soooo...you look fabulous. That short hair really suits you. That is all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great race, glad you could make it this year. I think you fit in with all the people there, from the T-shirt guy that gave the shirt to Maghan because she didn't have her credit card with her and said "just send me a check in the mail later". Also the two girls that you helped tighten her hydration belt and hugged you like you were her best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I absolutely loved this picture of you, you look fantastic here..even though I think that is a running skirt? AND great news, I will be coming this summer to help hang out on that Guadalupe river!!!!! BTW. get back on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's beautiful! You and the location. What a fun marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reason for the race:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_ezW85Nka3c

    ReplyDelete