Monday, January 31, 2011

An ode to ass kickers

Yesterday I talked about my weird funk and I asked you to purposely be mean to me in an effort to kick my butt into gear. Well guess what? It worked! I didn't get to run because my husband worked an open to close shift at our retail employer. However, I did clean my house (including the playroom!) and I did quite a bit of ab work and yoga. I also threw in some pull ups. Then today I got out and ran a short but nice 2 miles.

Of course I love the positive encouragements. The "you can do it's" and "great job's" are great to have along a marathon course. But to get me through the mundane daily workouts that seam to run together, I need an ass kicker. It has been this way since early childhood. I learned to water ski because my dad didn't let me quit after a few failed attempts. I wasn't happy about it at the time but today I'm proud that I can add slalem, and knee board to my list of things I can do. My dad being a karate instructor drug my brother and I kicking a complaining every Tuesday and Thursday to karate class. The only reason we complained was because we would rather be home playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego with the neighbor kids. But today I have better coordination and I remain the champion at my local fight club (oops. Was I not suppose to talk about that?). Then there was my crowning achievement as a young athlete, softball. I started taking pitching lessons in the 7th grade and for about the next 4 years, not a day went by that I wasn't throwing a ball. I didn't always want to go, but it sure did pay off. I was good. That's not bragging. I worked really hard to be good. I wouldn't have worked that hard on my own.

What kind of persuasion works best for you? Coddling? Or a good old fashion ass whoop'n?!

No comments:

Post a Comment