Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Where I've Been; Loretta Lynn

Here's something you may not know about me (unless you're a close, or distant, or just facebook friend). I love Loretta Lynn! Coal Miners Daughter is one of my favorite movies. It's right up there with Best In Show, Spinal Tap, and Lonesome Dove. I also love her honesty and her, "life ain't now bed of roses" so toughen up, outlook on life.

I first spotted the signs pointing the way to Loretta's Ranch on our very first trip down I40 when were moving to Charlotte. Unfortunately our 26' Pensky truck with car hauler kept us from visiting that first time. But I made a mental note and knew that the next time we were on that highway, I would have to stop in and get 1 or 8 souvenir coffee mugs. My family and I have actually been there three times now. Anytime we are headed to or from Dallas we make Loretta's our lunch stop. It's kind of like Graceland for me.

This is a re-creation of Loretta's childhood home in Butcher Holler Kentucky that was used in the movie. Also, these pics were taken a long time ago. About 2 or 3 months after my son was born and just as I had started running.
This is just one of, I think, three shops on the premises. They have a gift shop with lots of Loretta stuff and then two other shops with western wear.
I'm not really sure what this is for, but it's in the courtyard where there is also a little BBQ stand and a nice view of the river and mill. If you want you can pay for a tour. It takes you all over the ranch, and even inside the mansion that she lived in on the hill. She now resides in another house back behind the mansion. She was slaughtering some chickens, suddenly there was a crowd of onlookers, a chicken got loose, a fan passed out... anyway, she felt that she needed more privacy and built another house behind the mansion. It's all in her book.I like visiting the ranch even more now, since I read her book. Her family runs the ranch and back when Doo (Doo Little Lynn) was still alive, he would go around visiting and getting drunk with the campers.

They have cabins and campsites at the ranch, Loretta performs here regularly, and they hold a large motocross event every year. I broke two of my mugs so the next time I head to Texas I'll be stopping in for a replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment